Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Home-made Kettle Corn

This past Sunday Theo and I walked through a street fair running down Broadway in Manhattan. There was of course a Kettle Corn booth. At this booth they were handing out free samples. They were too good to pass up but the corn itself seemed over-priced, I couldn't justify spending $4 on a small bag. Could you? Thus we were inspired to try and make our own at home that night. I must confess Theo was the mastermind behind it all being overall more inspired to make my dreams of Kettle Corn a reality. Can you say nice guy? What about great guy!!!

He did research on line to find out what techniques were common as well as ingredients. And settled on this recipe:

1/4c. veggie oil (any you like)
1/2 c. corn kernels
1/2 c. confectioners sugar
1 T. brown sugar
1 T. regular sugar
1 T.+ course salt


Heat the oil in a large pot with a close-fitting lid on medium-high. When oil is wavy looking add corn. It is better to add the corn early than late as you do not want the oil to start smoking. Place the lid on and using hot pad holders swirl it around a bit.

When you start to hear the first kernel pop start swirling and shaking the pot. When the popping starts to slow down quickly add in the confectioners sugar. Resume swirling and shaking pot.

When popping is practically over sprinkle remaining sugars on popped corn.

Turn the heat to low. Shake vigorously. Add the salt and shake again. Let sit on burner for a little bit shaking occasionally.
Turn out into a bowl and enjoy with a movie and your favorite person (people). We watched Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand from 1968.
We fell like this was a good recipe and not as dangerous as a traditional recipe which requires you to stir the sugar into the oil while the popcorn is popping! But as you can see from the picture we ended up with some sugar clotting. It does taste good but Theo thinks it's not the same flavor as Kettle Corn you buy on the street. We doubled the batch and still have some which I was just snacking on. I feel like it is still just as good two days old as fresh.

If you try this let us know what your results are. If you have your own recipe please share it with us!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Blogger Di (not Dee) said...

Looks like fun! Though I've never liked kettle corn myself. Weird, too, cuz I love Cracker Jacks! What I've been experimenting w/ lately is praline / caramel topping, on brownies, for ice cream, etc. I'm still experimenting, so I'll let you know when I come up w/ something consistent and good. Do you like crunchy or chewy?

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Oh that sounds amazing. I like both, it just depends what it's on. Maybe crunchy for ice cream, chewy for other things?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home