Monday, March 22, 2010

A Revial Weekend

This past weekend was one of our best yet. We didn't really have much planned - that we remembered - and ended up enjoying every minute of it.

Friday we were at my studio late while I worked on touching up the edges of some paintings. After work Theo picked up pizza and drinks on his way over and we had a relaxing time chatting and working/reading. Then visited a friend in the building for a bit before we came home and went to bed.

Saturday we woke up early (for us). It must have been the sun calling us. We first thought we would make a hearty breakfast of Golden Rod (an egg dish that my family uses to celebrate Easter, I am sure it will come up at Easter and I will do a whole post on it so don't worry you will find out later what that is). As I got started Theo had a wonderful epiphany to go to Dia: Beacon for the day. Dia: Beacon is a contemporary art museum through the Dia Foundation and located in Beacon, NY. We have wanted to go since moving to New York almost four years ago now. Theo hopped on line and checked how to get there and hours of operation. Turns out we needed to take the Metro-North from Grand Central over an hour north past the Catskills to get to Beacon then it was an easy walk from the train depot. He also found out that if we got our act together in the next half hour we could catch the 9:50am train. We quickly ate some cereal, threw together a lunch and dashed to the subway to get us to the station. We were perfectly on time for the train no thanks to the maintenance on the subways holding us up.
We had a lovely ride up the Hudson River and arrived at Beacon in what felt like 70 degree weather. Enjoyed the short walk over a hill and arrived at Dia. It was massive and kind of ugly on the outside but big, beautiful and light-filled on the inside. Here's Theo as we approached. The river was off to the right and all of the buildings you see behind him is Dia. Unfortunately there are no pictures allowed inside so I can't show you what we saw. But we both agreed that we loved the Robert Smithson (known best for his piece Spiral Jetty) works the best. I also enjoyed the Fred Sandback works. After over three hours we decided it was time to go home.

For the trip back I bought a sugar and cinnamon doughnut. Here's Theo eating his half.He was kind enough to save some for me though as you can see it was lip-liking good. I have had a slight doughnut craving recently but I am doing my best to fight it since I don't really want to look like a doughnut. And my mom always says, "You are what you eat." I still want to eat more donuts though, especially a raspberry jelly filled doughnut. But the best doughnut right now would be from my hometown of Richland at the Spudnut Shop where they make incredible doughnuts with potato flour. So delicious they put all other doughnuts to shame! Maybe my parents will see this post and ship me one - hint hint. Here is a picture of me trying to show off the beginnings of my belly.Yeah, there is still not much to see there. But if you look closely at the picture you can see that I have on my first pair of maternity jeans. They have built in elastic on the sides and should expand with my belly over the second half of this ordeal.

Once we arrived home Theo had to watch the Huskies game (does everyone know that they are in the play offs?) so we rushed home to turn it on, but picked up important things like beer first. Our friends Ellie and Paul came over to watch too and we made a delicious fresh pasta, fresh mozzarella, fresh tomato, home-grown basil dinner. After we gorged ourselves on the delicious pasta and the game was finished we headed out to a show. That's right - the day was not done! We went further into Brooklyn to a bar called Sycamore on Cortelyou Rd. for live music. Namely The David Wax Museum who was playing that night. Check out their site to hear some of the music. It's fun, upbeat and they have A LOT of energy in concert. Definitely worth a night out if they ever come near you.

Sunday we rode our bikes to church and went out to brunch with Laura and Ben which was great fun. They are pregnant as well and due one week after us. It was fun getting to know them better and I think this is the beginning of long friendship. The men are already planning a bike race. We went to Apertivo in Park Slope (on the corner of 5th Ave and 1st St.) as part of Dine In Brooklyn and it was good but not the best brunch we have had. I think my favorite brunch place in Moutarde just a bit north up the street. They have amazing banana pancakes and many other delicious things but they are also closed for renovation right now. I'm a little sad about that.

Then a little grocery shopping and home. We baked lasagna and apple pie. Both delicious of course. The pie is already half gone, the lasagna will probably feed us all week though. It is huge! I had no idea how big it would turn out. We also did some cleaning and Theo took apart our vacuum so he can get a new belt for it. It may not seem special to you but having a working vacuum will be great again.

In summary of the weekend I think you will agree that it was full and fun time. In retrospect I think it was really productive too for how full of fun it was. Amazingly reviving from a long work week. I guess you can say we have decided to take the next couple months by the horns and make the most of them before I get huge and uncomfortable. And of course the lovely spring weather helps a lot! Hope you are enjoying the new spring.

5 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger aaron said...

wow! I haven't been keeping up with blogs of late and this is the first I've read about your baby on the way! Congratulations to both of you!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Di (not Dee) said...

Mmmm,sugar and cinnamon, home-grown basil, lasagna, apple pie... mmmmmmmm. Ok, so I'm a bit fixated on food right now. I'm nursing, AND I'm hungry at the moment. Anyway, yes, DO make the most of your leisure time now. And soon, when you start to show more, strangers will begin to smile at you (your belly). It's funny, and sweet. And you look great in those maternity jeans!
p.s. Speaking of apple pie, have you ever had tarte tatin?

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Yes, our friend Shannon introduced us to Tarte Tatin! It is amazing!!! I decided about 2 years ago that I love free-form tarts like this. Did you know you can do a fresh fruit tarte with pie crust/philodough and it's amazing?

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Di (not Dee) said...

Do you have any particular recipe? I've been collecting them from Food Network, but haven't tried one yet (random fresh fruit tarte).

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Megan said...

No particular recipe. But here's the basic: In a bowl stir 2-4 cups fruit of choice with 1/2-1 cup sugar (if you do apple I recommend adding lemon juice and cinnamon to the mix). Put pastry on baking sheet. Dump fruit mixture in middle of pastry and fold up edges all around leaving an opening in the top. Bake at 350F until fruit and pastry are cooked through.

That's off the top of my head but I'm sure your recipes are all great and can give you more direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home