Easter Means More To Me Than Tree Blosoms and Golden Rod
This Saturday we woke up to a wonderfully wonderful day. The temperatures entered the 70s and life was fine. We celebrated the day by hitting up the Brooklyn Botanic Garden where if you enter on any given Saturday by 12noon you get in free! It's a deal since we live a short 7 minute walk away.
Here are some buds that are about to burst!
Theo shaved his beard for the spring. Isn't his new Phase One of beard removal fabulous! I was a little unsure at first but after two days I am sold! I convinced him to go to Easter service and work this week like this. Who do you think he looks like? One of our friends said Doc Holiday.
The two weeping cherries were in full and beautiful blossom. This is just their tops on the bright blue sky. So glorious! In another couple weeks will be the cherry blossom festival they have every year and there is a whole avenue of regular cherry trees that would take your breath away.
A couple posts ago I mentioned a dish named Golden Rod. When we came back from the BBG I whipped some up for brunch since we sure wouldn't have any on actual Easter (we went to brunch at a friend's house; it was a feast to remember!). Below you can find the recipe but first I'll tell you why it's important. This is the dish I remember eating every year on Easter with my family. This dish came through my mother's family from her mother who learned how to make in a Home Economics class in High School (circa 1935!). It's a great dish to serve kids for three reasons. You can use the hard-boiled eggs you previously died after the Easter egg hunt is over. As you see below you use food coloring in the sauce to turn it any jaunty shade that strikes your fancy! Finally, it's incredibly easy! It's a basic white sauce with eggs in it. Here is the recipe for two servings but it's easy to multiply so don't be bashful.
4 hard-boiled eggs
2 English Muffins (plain or whole wheat, you can use regular bread in a pinch)
3 T. butter
+/- 2 T. flour
+/- 1c. milk
salt and pepper
Shell the eggs and carefully separate yolks from whites. Place yolks in a small bowl and mash until crumbled, set aside. Roughly chop the whites, set a side.
Melt 2 T. of the butter over med-low heat. Add in flour and stir to make a thick paste (you may need a little more). Very Slowly! add in milk until you have a nice saucy consistency. If you add too much milk the sauce will be too runny. I like mine thick enough to sit on the back of a fork but runny enough to run through the tines if you sit there. Now you have your basic white sauce! Add the chopped egg whites and salt and pepper to taste. Continue heating up over the med-low burner until egg whites are warm, do not let your sauce simmer! Add in your food coloring. You can make this whatever color you like (or leave it white) but start slowly as one drop goes a long way! Make sure you stir in the color completely before you add more color. I used one drop blue and one drop yellow to achieve the beautiful turquoise green pictured here.
Separate and toast your English muffins and butter with remaining 1T. butter.
Arrange two muffin halves on each plate. Spoon egg white sauce over the top, it should spill over the sides and onto the plate. Garnish with the crumbled egg yolks and ENJOY!
Let me know if you make Golden Rod. I would love to hear about your experience! Below you can see me getting ready for my first bite. And no that purple thing on my plate is unfortunately not a jellybean, it's my prenatal vitamin! It's only confusing until you try to bite into it. Oh the colors and sizes these things come in!
Labels: recipe

5 Comments:
Ok, I haven't read the post yet, but I have to say that you (Skippy) look so much like your Pa!!!! WOW!
Oooh, I'm gonna try this egg recipe! I love egg salad sandwiches, and this sounds like a first-cousin. Also, the cherry blossoms are BEAUTIFUL!!! And, btw, if you or any of your pregnant friends have a hard time swallowing large prenatal vitamins, I found a smaller one at Target -- the Up and Up brand. Every other one that I tried since last April was so huge that I had to cut it or powder it. This new one is just right.
p.s. I feel for you and your craving for donuts. I've been craving a cinnamon roll from a place called Sweet Jill's in Seal Beach... for the past three months!!! But I don't have a car, and nobody would take me. But I finally got one today, thanks to my friend, Lourdes. Mmmmmmm. With extra cinnamon goo ontop. I'm in heaven. Did your parents send you the donuts from back home?
p.p.s. Cute skirt!
Thanks Di! You have said so much I'm only going to respond to the donut question: My mom read the post and emailed to ask if I thought they would still be good three days old. I told her probably not but now I am rethinking that answer. Who knows, they could still be pretty good. After all people send cookies in care packages all the time, why not donuts?! I guess it would just have to be well sealed so they don't get too stale?
I think I'll need to call her later today and see what we can do.
Post a Comment
<< Home